Basic copyediting includes a line-by-line edit of the manuscript for the following:
- Typographical errors
- Misspelled words
- Incorrect usage (effect/affect)
When standardizing your manuscript, we will verify and/or correct the following:
- Spelling and capitalization of specific and repeated terms, character names, and location references
- The sequence of chapter headings and subheadings, lists, and tables
- References to illustrations, tables, and figures within the text
- Consistent style for em-dashes, ellipsis points, and serial commas
A basic edit may also include Comments from the editor. As the first level of copyediting, a basic edit will rarely include a review for content organization, sentence structure, clarity, word choice, or voice/style. We recommend first-level editing services for an author whose work has already been professionally reviewed or for work that may contain only basic errors. If you feel that your manuscript may need a more substantive edit, please choose from the Moderate and Extensive services available. If you aren’t sure which service level you need, our editors will be happy to review your work and offer a recommendation.
Free Sample Edit!
We will provide you with a free sample edit and quote so that you can get a feel for the editor and what they can do for your work. This will help you to make sure the editor is the right fit for you. Editing quotes will include total job fee, turnaround, and possible start dates. (There is no obligation to purchase a service.)
Request a free consultation or use our Sample Edit Request Form to submit your manuscript.